“I can almost hear your question. The . . . what idol? Love Idol? How can love be an idol? Love was God’s idea. We were created in God’s image, and God is love!
Paul wrote to the Corinthians: ‘These three remain: faith, hope and love. And the greatest of these is love.’ Yet we take God’s ‘greatest’ and contort it into an idol. We twist our desire for approval into a false god. . .
This book is for any of us who want to live content in God’s perfect love, freed up from the wearying demands of the Love Idol.”
–Jennifer Dukes Lee
She chronicles her journey of (continued) healing in her new book, “Love Idol: Letting go of your need for approval–and seeing yourself through God’s eyes”, which released last week (Get a copy here).
Can you relate to craving love so greatly it becomes the driving force to all your decisions and actions?
I definitely can. People pleasing consumes my thoughts, my time, and my energy. So, I’m forever grateful to Jennifer for writing this fabulous book and for taking the time to chat about it on this week’s GCM podcast.
On this podcast episode we discuss:
- What is a love idol?
- Whose love are you seeking? And Who has given it to you already?
- How do you admit you need help and accept healing?
- What is the process of tending to the garden of your heart?
- How does the love idol show up in our mothering?
- “No Other Gods” by Kelly Minter
- “10 Signs You Might Have a Need for Approval”
- Love Idol Movement Facebook Page
- Preapproved printables (print one off, place it in your trouble area, take a picture, post it on Love Idol Movement FB page with hashtag #preapproved).
- Get the book here–> Love Idol book page
Connect with Jennifer Dukes Lee:
More God Centered Mom posts on the topic of seeking people’s approval:
–“When I want to please people” (guest post at DoNotDepart.com)
Want to listen to the podcast, but don’t know how?
Here are 3 different ways to listen to the God Centered Mom Podcast:
2. Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch – There are a lot of great podcasting apps. Apple has a free one (that I mentioned) in the app store, there is also one called Downcast. It allows you to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio.
3. Subscribe to the Podcast – access the podcast in iTunes (Click here to access via iTunes). You can also search for it on your smartphone app (like the ones listed above) and subscribe.