I don’t know about you, but how I rate myself in the “mom department” varies greatly day by day, minute by minute. A wave of feeling pretty awesome can be quickly followed by feelings of failure. When I’m at a low point, it is nice to call a mom with older children and get encouragement, perspective and wisdom.
Because sometimes my feelings are based on a true problem and I need a little guidance on how to approach my boys differently.
Sometimes my feelings are based on lies and I need a little truth-telling to get my eyes refocused.
For today’s podcast I’ve invited Leslie Johnson (SurseeGal.com) back for a group pep talk. Leslie is the lovely mom to four grown boys. She speaks life and truth. I’m so thankful for her consistent investment in my mothering.
I wanted y’all to listen in on one of our typical conversations. Get a taste of what a phone call would sound like (except in this case we know you are listening and may even refer to you as “listeners”…besides that). And just like a real phone call with Leslie, I’m all over the board asking a variety of questions.
Today we cover three main topics (with the occasional rabbit trail…):
- Tips for the mom who gets angry with her kids (amen.)
- Ideas for reading aloud books–the “when”, “where”, “how”, and “what”
- How to handle the feeling of everyone needing you at once
- September McCarthy-Hope for the Struggling Mom Podcast
- Kat Lee’s interview with Chrystal Evans Hurst
- Life in a Medieval Castle and Village Coloring Book (Dover History Coloring Book)
(after our talk about Dover coloring books, I realized I’ve bought lots of these from Whole Earth Provision. I’m sure they are at your local book store. Or click the link and check some out on Amazon).
- Colossians 3
Leslie’s suggested read-aloud books *:
- Anne of Green Gables, A Little Princess, The Secret Garden (yes, for boys, too!)
- Caddie Woodlawn
- Usborne picture books-The Usborne Book of Knowledge (Children’s World), The Usborne Book of World History (Picture World), The Usborne Science Encyclopedia
- Lloyd Alexander The Chronicles of Prydain Boxed Set–High King, Black Cauldron, Castle of Llyr…
- Gone-Away Lake (Gone-Away Lake Books) by Elizabeth Enright (we’ve read The Saturdays by E. Enright & it was wonderful!).
- Read Aloud Bible Stories: Volume 1 by E. Lindvell
- Billy And Blaze by C.W. Anderson (there is a series of these books)
*If reading via email, click to blog post to get book links (amazon affiliate).
**For those of you who struggle with anger/yelling and want to focus on getting it under control, the MOB Society just launched a new private FB group called “No More Angry MOB”. It’s a place for moms to gather and know they are not alone and for strategies to change habits, be encouraged, etc. Within the first 24 hours of launching, 1,000 moms had signed up. You are not alone. You can find me there!
Also, last week September McCarthy wrote a couple of great posts on the topic of anger. Find them here:
If you could talk to Leslie on the phone, what would you ask her?
(may even be used on a future podcast. . . wink wink).