Have you ever felt like you “should” feel happy but struggle to muster the feeling? Ever wonder if and how you can move past deep soul wounds? Well, today’s guest, Lisa Harper, shares her journey to happiness. Offering practical help by blending grace, humor and sound theology.
You might think that happiness isn’t a the most biblical topic. It isn’t often the subject of sermons or the focus of bible lessons. Lisa wants to change that. She shares about what true biblical happiness looks like and how we serve a happy God who grins when he sees us.
Lisa is the real deal. She isn’t sharing about happiness from the world’s point of view of having everything she’s ever wanted. In fact, she talks a lot about the hard places she’s experienced in her life: abuse, abandonment and pain. But it’s out of these difficult places that we can truly experience God’s fulfillment.
Our world is desperate for this kind of happy. God give us contentment, fulfillment and delight in the midst of chaos. It can change the world and it changes us.
What we chat about:
- Lisa’s start working in ministry and her encouragement to other women who want to be in ministry
- Learning that God delights in his children, not just tolerates us
- Reading Psalm 139 and personalizing it to remind us of our identity in God
- The importance of lingering in God’s affection
- Lisa’s miraculous story of adopting her daughter from Haiti
- The joy she is finding in motherhood and the restoration she’s seen through God’s grace
- How gratitude can transform the way we look at motherhood and happiness
- Lisa’s new book and the background of what the bible says about happiness
- In the bible, blessed = happiness and it represents the contentment and delight that comes from intimacy with God
- There are 3,500 references to happiness in the bible
- How sharing about our happy God can transform how we share the gospel
- Start with gratitude and make a list of 10 things you are grateful for
Connect with Lisa:
**Amazon affiliate link: small percentage of your purchase goes to supporting this podcast, at no additional cost to you.
Featured Sponsor: Yip Yap
Yip Yap was started by a mom who desired for her young kids to be able to stay connected to loved ones – grandparents that live away, dad when he traveled for work – but without a home phone, the only option was to hand her kids her expensive and fragile smartphone, (anyone out there relate to that?). She imagined a better way and with a team of people, Yip Yap has designed, built, and launched a first of its kind kid’s WiFi phone called PIPSQUEAK. It’s durable, age-appropriate, and completely controlled by parents using the Yip Yap App on their phone. Parents build an individual private network of contacts and content specifically suited to their child and accessed using PIPSQUEAK. PIPSQUEAK features include calling, photo and video sharing, ad/commercial/search FREE YouTube streaming, music, games and more!
How to listen to the podcast:
1.Listen on the blog. Click through to GodCenteredMom.com and click the play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch – There are a lot of great podcasting apps. Apple has a free one (that I mentioned) in the app store, there is also one called Downcast. It allows you to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio. If you don’t have an iDevice, you can listen via Stitcher.
3. Subscribe to the Podcast – access the podcast in iTunes (Click here to access via iTunes). You can also search for it on your smartphone app (like the ones listed above) and subscribe.