Does it seem possible to draw our kids away from entitlement and toward the bigger “Yes” of God’s blessing for them and other people in their lives? Well, get excited because Jim and Lynne Jackson of Connected Families are back with parenting wisdom to address entitlement in our kids AND in ourselves.
We as parents feel entitled to grateful, hard working kids, and when we don’t get them an we have ungrateful, resistant-to-chores kids we get pretty upset. That shows that we feel entitled to how things go my way in the home. Instead of saying, ‘Oh! Wow we have some challenges here that I can partner with Jesus and really dive into.’
What we chat about:
- Jim and Lynne Jackson introduce Connected Families and their parenting framework
- The root of entitled behavior in our kids and the beliefs that back it up
- Entitlement is the belief that I deserve something because I’m more important than someone else
- Entitlement is about our sin nature and we’re all born into that
- As believers we need to call out entitlement in our lives and choose to put God first
- We as parents feel entitled to grateful, hard-working kids
- The attitude we bring into parenting and our beliefs are reflected onto our kids
- Helping our kids learn to work hard and celebrate accomplishments give them a dopamine burst in their brains that helps “rewire” them to want to work hard again
- Letting go of the places we are coddling our kids by not expecting them to serve and do hard things
- The “Bigger Yes” of God’s blessing for your kids and other people
- Take it slow and consider your kid’s perspective as you make changes toward growing our kids out of entitlement
- Determining the rights, privileges and responsibilities of your family
- When our kids see the beliefs we fight for and see the joy we experience as we follow God and it inclines them to want that too
Connect with Jim & Lynne:
- Help Your Child Feel Safe & Loved :: Jim & Lynne Jackson [Ep80]
- How to Connect, Coach & Correct Your Child :: Jim & Lynne Jackson [Ep 81]
- Connecting With Your Kids in Any Circumstance Jim & Lynne Jackson [Ep 98]
- Resolving Sibling Conflict :: Jim & Lynne Jackson [Ep 126]
Featured Sponsor: Connected Families
Struggling with entitled attitudes in your home? With kids who “Don’t Wanna Do It!” or kids who “Want it now!”?? We created this course just for you. It is four 30-minute sessions developed with busy parents in mind.
In the Entitlement Fix Online Course we’ll teach you a proven thought process that helps parents and kids move away from entitled attitudes and toward gratitude, responsibility, and sense of long-term purpose. Join us today!
How to listen to the podcast:
1.Listen on the blog. Click through to GodCenteredMom.com and click the play button at the beginning of this post.
2. Listen on your smartphone, iPad or iPod Touch – There are a lot of great podcasting apps. Apple has a free one (that I mentioned) in the app store, there is also one called Downcast. It allows you to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio. If you don’t have an iDevice, you can listen via Stitcher.
3. Subscribe to the Podcast – access the podcast in iTunes (Click here to access via iTunes). You can also search for it on your smartphone app (like the ones listed above) and subscribe.